Saturday 4 January 2014

2014 resolutions

Another year, another list of resolutions and challenges. 


Paintings
For someone who occasionally tells people that I'm an artist, I don't really make much art. Despite not being very good I really enjoy making a slightly random mess on a canvas and seeing where it goes. Sometimes I think it's more about the meditative state of making something rather than the actual thing you create. Also I am now the proud owner of two easels so should really make the most of them. You'll be able to see/buy/laugh at them at my Etsy page and I'll post them all here when I'm done. 

Coding
I'm going to learn how to code javascript using Code Academy which is a brilliant free website that eases you in to the complexity of coding. 

Banjo
I own a banjo. I do not play the banjo enough. I do not know enough (any) songs on the banjo. I will learn one song on the banjo each month. By the end of the year I will have a 12 song banjo repertoire. 

Write songs
I like writing songs so I'm going to do it more and using actual instruments. Namely banjo, guitar, keyboard and harmonica. By the end of the year I will have a 12 original song repertoire. 

Exercise
Running, Weights, Football, Squash. At least every other day.

Blogging
I like blogging but am pretty sporadic at doing it so this year I will be trying to write at least one "substantial" blog post a month. Maybe doing this will make it more of a habit and also help me work out what I actually want to blog about.

Podcasting
I've always wanted to record a podcast but have never got around to actually doing it. I'll try and rope some friends in to help me otherwise I'll just be recording myself talking to and about myself and that way madness lies. Although Richard Herring's podcast where he plays snooker against himself is pretty funny. 

Writing
Last year I completed a BA in Literature with the OU. Like the painting one above, I consider myself a "writer" or at least someone who is capable of writing but apart from the odd attempt at NanoWrimo I never seem to do much writing. This year I will work on developing a writing habit. One thousand words a week should actually be easy to achieve but will help me work out when I am most likely to write or when I'm best at it. 

Reading
I should read more. One book a month isn't much of a challenge but it's more about tracking how many books I do read in a year. I'll keep a log here

Brew own beer
I like beer. I like making things. I gonna make myself some beer. 

Holidays
I want to go on 3 holidays this year. Abroad. Scotland doesn't count. That is all. Thanks.

Half Marathon / 10k
Vienna Half Marathon in April (counts as a holiday), Great Yarmouth 10k in October (doesn't count as a holiday).

Poetry
I'd like to write at least one poem a month AND perform at least one poem at Cafe Writers' monthly open mic night

Drawing
I draw a lot. This shouldn't be a problem. 

Squash
Play squash at least once a month. 

SQL Course
Another nerdy one but more work related. I've learned nuggets before but going to try a bit harder for it to stick in my brain. 

Other
I'm also stopping smoking and not drinking during the week but I've learnt from previous attempts that it's not helpful to chart these challenges as I have the above ones. I'm also going to meditate more. 




No comments:

Post a Comment